Crunchy Oatmeal Cookies.
· 1/2 cup butter
· 1/2 cup brown sugar
· 2 tbsp honey
· 1 tsp vanilla essence
· 3/4 cup flour (Maida)
· 1/4 tsp baking soda
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1 cup oats
· 1 cup add-ins (I used 1/2 cup raisins, 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts)
· 1/4 cup demarara (raw) sugar
How I make it:
1. Preheat oven to 180 Deg C.
2. Beat butter, sugar, honey and vanilla until fluffy.
3. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda and salt.
4. Add this to the butter mixture and combine well.
5. At this point add in the oats, raisins & walnuts.
6. place tablespoons of dough onto greased cookie sheet.
7. Dip a flat-bottomed glass in demarara sugar, and flatten cookies, dipping the bottom of the glass in sugar for each one.
8. Bake for about 18 minutes, until crisp and golden. Keep an eye on the oven if you feel that its beginning to darken too much then please do take it out of the oven immediately.
9. Usually it takes about 10-15 minutes in the oven. you will start to smell them when they are ready. poke with a toothpick or tip of knife to check. remove from oven while the middle is still a little soft. they will harden as they cool
The colour of your baking pan makes a big difference in how the cookies bake. The darker the cookie sheet, the darker the bottoms of your cookies.
If you only have dark baking sheets, lining them with shiny aluminum foil fixes the burned-bottom problem. A light surface reflects heat, a dark surface absorbs it.