• 1 kg fresh Blue Crabs.
• 2 Medium Onions, finely diced.
• 6 Green Chilies, finely chopped.
• 100 gms Tomao Puree.
• 200 ml Thick Coconut Milk.
• ¼ tsp Mustard seeds.
• ¼ tsp Jeera.
• 2 tsp Ginger Garlic paste.
• 2 tsp grated Coconut.
• 1 tsp Turmeric powder.
• ½ tsp Jeera powder.
• 2 tsp Chilly powder.
• 1 tsp Coriander powder.
• ½ tsp Fresh ground pepper.
• 3 tbs Cooking oil (coconut oil preferably)
• Salt to taste.
• 2 sprigs of Curry leaf.
• A handful of chopped fresh Coriander leafs.
How I make it:
1. Clean the crabs and cut in the appropriate size.
2. In a heavy bottomed pan, heat the oil then add the mustard seeds, when it begins to pop add the jeera, stir for a while.
3. Now add the chopped green chillies followed by the chopped onions.
4. Let this brown for a while.
5. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 minutes on a medium flame.
6. Add the remainder of the spices and fry for a further 3 min.
7. Now add the tomato puree and cook for 2 min, a little water may be added at this time if the masala is sticking to the bottom.
8. Add the grated coconut, stir around.
9. Now add the crabs and mix well.
10. Once the color of the crab changes to a dark pink, its almost done.
11. Finally add the Coconut milk blend it in and turn off the flame.
12. Spicy Crab Masala is now ready to serve.
13. Serve with steamed rice and wash it down with some chilled beer.
14. You can adjust the thickness of the gravy by adding more coconut milk.